What are good security habits - Security measures
Post by Jawad Ahmad Riaz
What are good security habits good security habit are the simple small tasks, steps or activities that takes very little time but provides good security to your data and computer system. If these small habits are adopted and performed consistently they surely reduce the risk factors regarding information threats and viruses and prevent the loss of the data or getting infected. These habits have significant advantages for the regular computer users especially those working in stressed and professional environment.
There are many good security habits that can be adopted for the high security purpose but some of the important ones are listed below.
- Password protection of your computer. Always apply password to your computer system when other people uses the same copter system for different jobs. This would keep your confidential data safe from the access. Whenever you reinstall your computer systems don’t forget to apply administrator password to your system.
- Limited account allocation. If you system is used by other people at your home and office allot them a limited account either certain kinds of restriction to the main file system.
- Boot setup password protection .along with the computer password always apply the password at the boot setup of your system to make sure that none of the other person can format or reinstall the computer system except you.
- Apply computer lock when you’re away from it. Don’t forget o apply a computer lock on your system when you are not using it or away from it. You should adopt this security habit even if you go away for some minutes. It’s important because if some one wants to destroy your data he/she would take few minutes for this job. Before going always make sure that your computer is properly locked or you can also organize setting for the lock automatically when computer system is idle. You may have different kinds of confidential information in your system lock would protect the theft of your data.
- Always disconnect internet when you are not using it, make it your regular habit to disconnect the internet when you are not using it or away form you computer system. This would prevent the different kinds of viruses from penetrating into your system and would also keep it same form the network infection that travels through the web browser and destroy your file system .its important because your system can be targeted by the attackers from the same network and your system IP can be easily tracked when you are online. Disconnecting refers to the disabling the wireless or dial up connection.
- Enable firewall (recommended) firewall protects and repels the unknown and unwanted interruption in your computer system. Always on your firewall when ever you use internet, it’s turned on by default when computer operating system is installed.
- Manage and evaluate your security settings. There are many soft wares and applications that offer different kinds of security setting when their set up is executed on the system. Always read carefully the all security option that they offer such as when Microsoft Office is installed, it offers automatic update option. Always tick such kinds of option because it would help you to keep your application more advanced and updated. With required security patterns.
- Back up your data. Although computer secondary storage device has enough space to save your data but still it is recommended that you should keep additional back up for your data which can be written and stored in DVDs and CDs or on the portable hard disks which is available. Easily
- Removable media Scanning. Always scan the removable storage media such as USB before exploring it. This would keep your computer from the infection that media may carry.
Interested in Advertising your products or website with us? Click Why Advertising with us ?
- What is information security
- Securing your data
- What is cyber intelligence
Useful & Related Links
Browse All Categories
- WiFi Technology
- Wimax Technology
- Computer Networks
- Mobile Communication
- IT - Certifications
- Computer OS
- Computer Hardware
- Computer security
- Technology Reviews
- Networking Tutorials
- Other Technology articles
- Top 10
Lastest articles in Category