Homemade wireless antenna - How to build wireless antenna
Wireless network technology is handy for the sake of better and the fast wireless communication. Technologies like Wifi and Wimax are creating wonders already that techie users from previous generation could never have thought of. As much wireless technology is benefiting to all of us, it doesn’t comes all that cheap. For installing a small wireless network in home or in office can cost you from 200 USD to 1000 USD upfront. There is a lot of hardware involved but since we are talking about wireless antenna in this article we will restrict our discussion precisely to that.
Antenna is one of the essential pieces of hardware that enhance the signal strength of any wireless network. Buying readymade ones from market can be really costly. However we have a guide ready for you to teach how to manufacture homemade wireless antenna at home all by yourself. It will save quite a fortune of yours. Lets read and learn.!
How to make homemade wireless external antenna
Building a homemade wireless internet antenna for your system is not a tough job; you just need easily available material to accomplish this task. Joining these materials by following a process can give you best result.
List of material required:
There are few methods to build your own external wireless antenna in order to improve the range and signal quality. With each of these methods different materials are used to accomplish your purpose successfully. Some commonly use materials include steel wire net, drill, bamboo stick, nuts, connectors copper wires, steel tin and bolts etc.
- Tin can/ steel wire net: these two are used to capture radio waves signals and strengthen them before transmitting towards the end point. It is preferred to use a 3 inches diameter can or regular chicken wire net for starting the process. You must make sure that can or wire is rust free and clean.
- Copper wires: copper wires are also important part of homemade wireless external antenna as with help of wires connection is developed between different parts easily. Length of wire depends on distance of antenna and connector.
- Bamboo stick: it is important to adjust the antenna on height, in this way powerful singles can be captured and transmitted. For this purpose wood or bamboo sticks are preferred to use with wireless external antenna.
- Nuts and bolts: nuts and bolts are used to drill the structure of antenna together. They help to hold all the parts at their place for longer.
- Connectors: a very important material to use in homemade wireless antenna is connector. Male or females connectors can be used according to the requirement but female N connectors are always preferred over other types.
Method of building wireless external antenna:
A wireless external antenna can be build at home by following two methods. One is with use of tin can and in other we use steel wire net. Both of these give good result therefore we are going to describe about both the methods.
Building antenna by using steel wire net:
Under this method you need rectangular piece of steel wire net, some wood sticks, copper wire, connector and a hollow pipe.
- To start the process you need to place half part the wire net on pipe and attach it with pipe with help of copper wire as shown in the picture.
- Now attach a wood stick with the wire net and pipe with help of wires.
- Drill some holes in the pipe to place the USB wire or connector and the USB.
- Place this antenna on height and enjoy fast speed internet.
Building antenna by using tin can:
You can start building this antenna with an empty soup bowl, coffee can or chips can as they are easily available to every person. Beside this you need copper wire, connectors, drill and wood stick.
- Take a 3” diameter tin and clean it before using for antenna.
- With help of drill make a small hole at end of the tin; make sure connector can easily pass through this hole.
- Connect one end of the cable with female N connector and other with the male connector. Now pass it through this hole carefully and solder connectors tightly.
- It is important to consider that length of cable wire and tin can is equal.
- Now place the bolts and nuts on the tin in a way that nuts come outside the tin can.
- In the end you need to attach your homemade wireless antenna at some external point to capture the signals and work as networking device.
Advantages of Homemade Wireless Antenna:
Some important advantages of the homemade wireless antenna are; it can save the money, build with the cheap material, have good signaling power it can also be enhances by changing the position of the tin can
- Types of wireless broaband antenna
- Boosting wifi signals
- 3G Antenna
Useful & Related Links
Interested in Advertising your products or website with us? Click Why Advertising with us ?
Browse All Categories
- WiFi Technology
- Wimax Technology
- Computer Networks
- Mobile Communication
- IT - Certifications
- Computer OS
- Computer Hardware
- Computer security
- Technology Reviews
- Networking Tutorials
- Other Technology articles
- Top 10
Lastest articles in Category