Workstation Vs Desktop computers - Differences between workstations and desktop computers
Post by Jawad Ahmad Riaz
A computer which is generally used by a single user it is more powerful than the ordinary micro computer used for personal use. It is used for the professional and organizational use instead of just an ordinary use. The applications used in the workstations are specially structured for the companies and firms. It has a large capacity to store data and a very high speed processor and high quality graphics to meet the needs of the engineers and the organizations. In some cases a workstation also means a central computer used as a server which actually is like an ordinary personal computer connected too many.
While desktop computers; are the computers which are used for the domestic purposes not for commercial use like a home PC or laptop. Children use it for playing games and it is used for recreation mostly instead of working
How Workstations And Desktops Work?
Workstations are manufactured in a manner that they can word with high load of work. It is designed to perform difficult projects and for professional purposes. It is not a modern invention it was first made in 1959 by international business machines known as IBM and it was introduced with a name of IBM 1620. At that time too it was designed for the big tasks and professional use like engineers and architectures. These workstations have very high capacity of random access memory
called RAM and high features of the picture quality and graphics for real effects of the wok.
On the other hand the desk tops also known as the personal computers it is not so poor in graphics but les than the workstations because now a days desktops are also being used in the offices for the professional use but not for very big tasks it is mostly used for playing games processing the works as a multimedia and many other tasks on common basis. In the recent desktop computers have also enough capability to work as a main server it can also b connected with the local area network and can attached to many computers to exchange the data.
Advantages of the Desktops
- It can b used for domestic use like a personal computer to play games official work and to browsing the internet and as a multimedia like playing music watching movies.
- Desktops are cheap and easily available a person can buy several desktops because of the low price.
- These computers are ideal for house home based offices ans as well as small and large business.
- The life of the desktops is more than 10 years it depends on the manufacturer and on the user how one uses it.
- It is easy to repair and if there is any fault it is easy to remove and the maintenance is easy and cheap.
Disadvantages of the Desktops:
- It can not be used on the place of the work stations because of compatibility.
- Like the workstation it can run many printers and other output devices
- It is not very good for engineering and medical purposes.
Advantages of Workstation:
Workstation is better in many ways like
- It bears high quality graphics and high performance.
- It can work with many CPUs at a time while the desktops can not do so.
- It is used in some special fields like in engineering and for research purposes in medical field.
Disadvantages of Workstation:
- These are bulky in the size.
- Not easily available and can not used for domestic use have high prices.
- Repairing is not easily available and not so easy.
Interested in Advertising your products or website with us? Click Why Advertising with us ?
- What is workstation
Network access server :: What is workstation :: How to start career in network administration :: Computer security systems :: How do I choose best fire wire hard drive :: Internet security system :: What is NIPRNET :: What is SIPRnet :: What is ESATA :: ESATA connector :: What is wirefire port :: Master Slaves in hard drive :: What is processor Bus? :: SATA 6Gbs :: What is network Operating system :: What is Application cluster :: What is authentication server :: Home network server :: Linux terminal server project :: Network load balancer :: Virtual network computing :: Analog Vs digital signals :: Broadband troubleshooting :: Types of Broadband :: What is ADSL2+ :: Extranet vs Intranet :: Peer to peer networks :: What is scada computer system :: Advantages of Networking Intranetworking :: Types of networking cable :: Types of workstation :: Workstation Vs Desktop computers :: Business networking :: What is CRM sofware :: Electronic medical report :: What is Ethernet switch :: How ethernet works :: How to install unformatted hard drive in vista :: Installing windows server 2003 :: What is Network backup :: PointCast Network :: Networking internetworking :: Install and configure sata drive :: What is secure socket layer :: Terminal Server vs Virtual Desktop :: What is data logger :: What is IPsec ::
Browse All Categories
- WiFi Technology
- Wimax Technology
- Computer Networks
- Mobile Communication
- IT - Certifications
- Computer OS
- Computer Hardware
- Computer security
- Technology Reviews
- Networking Tutorials
- Other Technology articles
- Top 10
Lastest articles in Category