Installation of FTP Server - FTP server Installation - File Trafer Protocol
One must not confuse server with mainframe. In large offices, mainframes are used to centralize particular activities to process information. In addition to their prescribed activities, mainframes may or may not act like servers. Both servers and mainframes are used in large organizations, where the servers are more decentralized, multiple and smaller than the mainframes.
In large scale organizations, servers are kept in data centers and all can get access through their network connections. From IBM manufacturers to x86 based personal computers servers are available in all sizes. There may be a monitor, key board and a mouse directly attached to the server or single key board, monitor and mouse attached to multi server by the virtue of switch.
Installation of FTP ( File Transfer Protocol) Server
Here we will brief you about the installation of FTP (File Transfer Protocol) server on your computer but the article will deal in both FTP and IIS (Internet Information Services) as FTP depends on Microsoft Internet Information Services. By default the FTP Service is not installed when you install IIS in Windows Server 2003. If you have already installed IIS, you should make use of the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel to install the FTP Service. To install IIS and FTP you have to follow below mentioned steps:
You can click Control Panel and look for Add or Remove Programs.
Then you have to click on the Add/Remove Windows Components.
In the list you have to click at the Application Server where you will see Internet Information Services (IIS). There is no need to check this box you just have to click on the Details bar.
- Here you have to check following boxes: Common Files, File Transfer Protocol Service (FTP) and Internet Information Services Manager.
- If you want to select some other service related to IIS then click on it and check the Ok button. After it you have to check Next.
- When the window ask for the location of the files then you have to either inject in the Windows Server 2003 CD Rom or to specify the location in your computer where files are placed.
- Click Finish. IIS and FTP are now installed, you can configure the FTP before using it.
Configuration of the FTP Service
Follow the following steps to configure the FTP Service to allow only anonymous connections:
- Start IIS Manager or open the IIS snap in.
- Server Name is the name of the server. Here you have to expand the Server Name.
- Expand FTP Sites.
- You have to right click on Default FTP Site where you have to open properties.
- Click the tab of Security Accounts.
- Allow Anonymous Connections must be checked, if it is not already selected and then select the check box of Allow Only Anonymous Connections. This will allow only anonymous connections where those who have log in names or passwords will not be provided access.
- Check the Home Directory tab.
- Here you have to select Read and Long Visits and then click to clear the Write check box. And click Ok.
- Lose the IIS snap in.
We have configured the FTP server to accept the requests of FTP. You can move or copy those files that you wish to make available in FTP folder for the access of others. Default folder is drive:\Inetpub\Ftproot, where drive is the drive on which IIS is installed. We hope that the information has proved valuable for you.advertisemet
Interested in Advertising your products or website with us? Click Why Advertising with us ?
Other Improtant topics
Computer Network Architechture :: Data recovery :: What is Data Mining & techniques :: Security issues of Computer :: Frame Relay :: How to create wireless groups :: How to design security policy for network :: How to Troubleshoot LAN :: How to Troubleshoot WLAN :: Infrared Network :: Introduction to Active Directory :: Network Management Software :: Network ports List :: Network Security Software :: Networking FAQ :: Online Security Threat :: Satellite Communication :: Submarine Communication Cable :: Telecommunication Networks :: WAN Technology :: What is Cryptography :: What is Optical Router :: Working Of Telnet :: Linux Server Adminstatrion :: Wireless Bridges set up techniques :: Digital Communication :: How to Configure Linksys wireless bridge :: How to setup wireless repeater :: Distributed Computing :: Hight Performance Computing :: Parallel computing :: Quantum Computing :: Super Computing :: Cloud Computing :: How to configure print server :: How video conferencing works :: Setting up TCP/IP network :: Recover lost hard drive data :: How to solve network performance problems :: 3GPP2 Multimedia Domain Architecture :: Network management model and architechture :: What is protocol analysis & Analyzer :: What is network address translator :: Internet network architecture :: Types of information technology :: What is DSL technology :: Dsl concept :: Dsl vs Cable internet :: Network simulator :: Next generation networks :: What is Switched mesh :: What is 127.0.0.1 :: How to change mac address :: How to flush dns :: EV-DO Rev. B Technology? :: What is network protocol :: What is ASIC :: Blu ray Technology :: Field Program Gate Array (FPGA) :: Computer networking with ethernet hub :: Intelligent networks :: Adsl problems and oppertunities :: Dsl components :: What is hub :: What is networking switch :: Hubs Vs Switches :: Frame relay networks
Browse All Categories
- WiFi Technology
- Wimax Technology
- Computer Networks
- Mobile Communication
- IT - Certifications
- Computer OS
- Computer Hardware
- Computer security
- Technology Reviews
- Networking Tutorials
- Other Technology articles
- Top 10
Lastest articles in Category