Cisco Certifications - CCNA security Certification
Post by Jawad Ahmad Riaz
Cisco CCNA Security Certification
(Please note that this is an Associate Level certification as per the levels defined by Cisco for its certifications. These are Entry, Associate, Professional, Expert, Specialist and Architect. Additionally, the Cisco CCNA Certification is also present as three Additional certifications; the CCNA Voice, Security and Wireless Certifications)
What is this Cisco CCNA Security Certification all about?
The Cisco CCNA Certifications are present as four certifications; the main Cisco CCNA Certification which covers Routing and Switching and the Cisco CCNA Voice Certification, Cisco CCNA Security Certification and Cisco CCNA Wireless Certification which cover the Voice, Security and Wireless aspects of a network respectively.
Thus, this Cisco certification tests knowledge and skills whereas Security in Network Maintenance, Design and Troubleshooting is concerned. This certification can be thought of as either a further branch of the main Cisco CCNA certification or a completely separate certification that focuses on Security.
The Cisco CCNA Security Certification tests, amongst many, these skills. The skills are:
- Develop a security infrastructure
- Recognize threats and vulnerabilities to networks
- Mitigate security threats
The Cisco CCNA Security Curriculum covers the following:
- Core security technologies
- Installation, troubleshooting and monitoring of network devices to maintain integrity, confidentiality and availability of data and devices
- Maintain competency in the technologies that Cisco in there security structure
What are the Pre-requisites of Cisco CCNA Security Certification?
According to Cisco, “Valid CCNA or any CCIE Certification can act as a pre-requisite”. Thus this Cisco CCNA Security certification does have a pre-requisite as mentioned above.
However, we do also recommend that any person who sits for the exam in this certification come fully prepared for the exam. Allot yourself at the very least a few months to prepare for the exam.
Who is the Cisco CCNA Security Certification for?
The Cisco CCNA Security Certification is for those networking professionals who would like to add network security expertise to their career or to move towards a more security oriented career within networking.
Why should I get certified? What benefits are there?
In case you are a basic Networking Professional who is responsible for maintenance and troubleshooting of networks then it is essential that you further your skills portfolio so that you can advance your career and increase your knowledge. Thus, the Cisco CCNA Security certification is preferable if you are interested in a more Network Security oriented career or would like to increase your knowledge in this area.
The benefits will be that you will now have a broader selection of career paths that will be higher paying than your existing job. Additionally, you will haave that edge that is required during job selections – since employers look for what makes you as a networking professional unique.
Cisco Certification Exams in General
What Are the Exams Like?
The duration of most theoretical exams is one to two hours. Lab (practical) exams typically last eight hours.
Questions include multiple-choice single answer, multiple-choice multiple answer questions, drag and drop, fill in the blank and simulations.
Exams other than CCIE lab exams are delivered online
What Do They Cost?
Computer-based certification exam prices range from $80 to $325 US dollars or equivalent worldwide. The ICND1 and ICND2 exams are $125 USD, the CCNA exam is $250 USD and the professional level CCNP and CCDP Composite exam is $300 USD, and CCIE written exams are $350 USD. Payment is made directly to the authorized test delivery partner Pearson Vue.
CCIE lab exams are $1,400 USD. Payment is made online via credit card or wire transfer
How do I take the exams?
Exams are regularly administered worldwide by Pearson VUE http://www.vue.com/cisco which is Cisco’s examination delivery partner (just as Prometric is Microsoft’s partner). Pearson VUE routinely organizes exams on various dates
How do I prepare for the exams?
- Training through Institutions – The authorized source for Cisco IT training delivered exclusively by Certified Cisco Instructors. For a list of Cisco Learning Partners, use the Learning Partner Locator.
- Training through Books – A variety of Cisco Press titles may be available for this exam. These titles can be purchased through the Cisco Marketplace Bookstore, or directly from Cisco Press.
- Resources, Assistance and guidance through the online Cisco Learning Network
- Exam Cram Books - Exam Cram has a wide array of preparation tools for the popular CCNA, CCNP, and CCSP certifications, including simulation-based practice questions along with other late-stage study vehicles to get you ready for test time.
- Safari Bookshelf - The premier electronic reference library for programming and IT professionals with more than 1,200 titles.
- Cisco Networking Academy - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/index.html
- Cisco Certification Study Groups – https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/groups
What certifications and exams come under Cisco CCNA Security Certification?
Only one exam is required for the Cisco CCNA Security Certification. It is as follows:640-553 IINSImplementing Cisco IOS Network Security
90 minutes (55-65 questions)
English, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, French, Spanish
Click Here to Register:
Register for Course:
Validity of the Cisco CCNA Security Certification
This Certification is valid for upto 3 years after the certification has been awarded. After 3 years any and every networks professional will have to re-sit this exam so as to be re-certified. Cisco has created this system to ensure that all network’s professionals stay up to date with latest trends and changes in networking technologies and standards.
Resources for the Exams
- Several Resources are available at the Cisco Learning Network - https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/security_ccna
- Cisco Certification Exams Tutorial -http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_certification_exam_tutorial.html
Link to Official Cisco CCNA Website
CCNA SECURITY TRAINING VIDEOS
Sampe papers for Cisco CCNA Security
Interested in Advertising your products or website with us? Click Why Advertising with us ?
Useful & Related Links
Browse All Categories
- WiFi Technology
- Wimax Technology
- Computer Networks
- Mobile Communication
- IT - Certifications
- Computer OS
- Computer Hardware
- Computer security
- Technology Reviews
- Networking Tutorials
- Other Technology articles
- Top 10
Lastest articles in Category